About Planned Parenthood Votes Washington PAC
Planned Parenthood Votes Washington PAC supports state and local candidates who consistently take responsible positions on reproductive health care, including abortion, birth control, and sex education. Through our endorsement process we find, educate, endorse, and support candidates who will join us in standing with Planned Parenthood, its patients, and the communities we serve. The PAC ensures that voters know where candidates stand on key issues as we work in pursuit of sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice for all people.
Advocating for a just, equitable, thriving world where everyone has access to sexual and reproductive health care and education.
Planned Parenthood Alliance Advocates protects and promotes reproductive health, rights and justice. We do this by advocating for public policies that guarantee the right to choice and full and nondiscriminatory access to reproductive health care, and fostering and preserving a social and political climate favorable to the exercise of reproductive choice through voter education, candidate endorsement and other means.
About this position: PAC members meet, educate, endorse, and support candidates who will be champions for Planned Parenthood patients and the communities we serve. They work alongside fellow PAC members and PPAA Board representatives, with additional guidance and support from the PPAA Government Relations Manager and State Director. Together, the PAC members make endorsement recommendations to the Board of Directors of Planned Parenthood Alliance Advocates.
- Strategizing on PP Votes WA PAC approach and races
- Helping develop processes and procedures to help the PAC run smoothly
- Reviewing endorsement questionnaires
- Interviewing candidates
- Deliberating and voting on endorsement recommendations to the PP Alliance Advocates Board of Directors
- Attending trainings and staying informed on current events, the local, state, and national landscape for sexual and reproductive health and rights, and the political landscape in western Washington
- Supporting endorsed candidates through attending campaign events, hosting fundraisers, or promoting candidates to their personal network as a representative of our PAC
PAC activities occur on a seasonal basis, with peak endorsement activities taking place between May and September, supporting candidate activities taking place in October, and the least activity taking place between November and March. The time commitment therefore varies between 3-8 hours a month depending on the electoral cycle, time of year, and the PAC work plan. Scheduling is based on availability and preferences of PAC members and candidates, which tends to occur during evenings and on weekends. Most meetings and interviews are conducted virtually given the geographic diversity of PAC members and candidates. Candidate events could be virtual or in person and attendance is subject to PAC member’s availability.
- Understanding of Washington state and local political landscape
- Familiarity with sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice issues
- Commitment to equity and to the Planned Parenthood mission
- Able to maintain confidentiality of PAC deliberations and strategies
- Value teamwork, flexibility, and open, assertive communication
- Familiarity with Planned Parenthood services
- Preference is given to volunteers living in western Washington, and residents of Snohomish, Pierce, Thurston, and Clark Counties are especially encouraged to apply.
- Prior experience or education in community organizing, campaigns, and/or public policy preferred but not required
If you’re interested in joining the PAC, please submit a letter of interest and a resume to [email protected]. Once your information has been reviewed by our team, a PAC member will contact you for an initial discussion on the process.